Solid State Logic announce UF8 and its looks very impressive.
SSL has long been regarded as one of the world’s best designers for analogue consoles and made its name with very large format designs. As times have changed, and with prevalence of exceptionally well equipped home and project studios SSL has been very aware of the demand for smaller format consoles, monitor controllers and with the UF8 have introduced a high quality 8 fader control surface thats exceptionally customisable to users and works for any DAW.
SSL have designed controller from the ground up and based it around their new “SSL 360” app. Its not simple a scaled down or repurposed version of their Nucleus 2, which included monitor control, IO and mic preamps. •
• High-quality 100 mm touch sensitive faders
• High-resolution colour displays
• All metal enclosure, finished with a brushed, anodised top plate
• 8 Endless Rotary Encoders
• Custom Workflows with 43 assignable keys per UF8; 5 banks of 8 User Keys + 3 Quick Keys
• Intelligent Multi-Purpose CHANNEL Encoder
• Mouse Scroll Emulation; control of any plug-in parameter you hover the mouse over with absolute precision
• Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Build quality and finish look superb, as you’d expect from SSL. Its looks very much geared towards speeding up workflow with its shortcut keys and colour displays, also one feature we’ve not seen on a controller is the Mouse Scroll Emulation, by hovering over any plugin parameter in your daw and get instant control with the larger rotary encoder. A nice bonus is the inclusion of the Native Plugin Bundle, with both Vocal Strip 2 and Drumstrip being included. Three UF8 controller can be linked to provide an impressive 24 channel control surface if required.
With the Mackie control surface feeling a little tired after being several years old now and the only really alternative products being the Presonus Faderport, and Icon controllers we are sure we’ll see plenty of these new SSL’s popping up in music production studios as well as post-production, webcasting and editing suites.